Here are 5 tips to help you through the late winter and early spring:
- Take Inventory – That's right, take a good look at what you have, what you need, and what you want for your summer adventures. Check things like bedding, dishes, tent pegs, fabric repair kits. Now's the time to replenish those non-perishable supplies.
- Examine Fabrics – Take the time to check your tents and sleeping bags for broken zippers, split seams, etc. Also check for rodent damage. Mice just love the fabric of your tents and sleeping bags for a cozy winters nest. It's not a pleasant discovery but it's better to find out now than when you're ready to leave for that long awaited first camping trip of the season.
- Check Appliances – Fire up your portable stove, lantern, BBQ, etc. to be sure that insects haven't decided to make a home in the tubes or burners over the winter.
- Lights – this is a good time to check all your flashlights, electric lanterns, etc. to be sure they're in good working order and that you have a good supply of replacement batteries. Have you ever arrived at a campsite after dark only to discover that your lantern batteries are dead?
- Plan your Trips – This is a great time of year to pull out the camping maps or check the Southern Ontario Outdoors camping destinations page and start planning your warm weather adventures. A glass of wine, some roadmaps, and campsite brochures are sure to make the final gasps of our Southern Ontario winter more bearable.
Remember that you don't have a timeframe for all this work. Don't think of it as a job, but rather as a precursor to your summer fun off the beaten trail. Take your time and make pre-season planning an enjoyable part of your camping experience.
©2011 Lloyd Fridenburg – All rights reserved click here for copyright permissions
I absolutely loved this article! I hope you don't mind, but I shared some of it with my readers (with clear links back of course!)ReplyDelete
Excellent camping blog, keep up the good work!
This is very excellent blog about camping and outdoors.Thanks for this post!!!ReplyDelete
Interesting information I haven’t been through such information in a long time.ReplyDelete
Great tips to keep in mind while camping. And must say such a nice blog.ReplyDelete
Bookmarked you for future updates.
Awesome photo’s and awesome location. Thanks a lot for sharing this useful information.ReplyDelete
waterton glacier national park
Awesome Post Thanks for Sharing this post!!!ReplyDelete
An inventory check and inspecting appliances (and other equipment) is vital. The last thing you want is to be missing something or having something break when you're on a trip. Good reminder.ReplyDelete
Great post. Lots of thought went into this I'm sure.ReplyDelete